Monday, July 23, 2012

turning bending, never ending

Dear friends,
A little over a year ago I was introduced to the hoolahoop.  I had chuckled when I first heard my friend talk about the hoolahoop.  I was thinking of it as merely a toy, and not as a tool of many uses.  


When I saw my friend pick up the hoop I saw his eyes lighten as he was filling with joy, and I was then amazed by the different things he was able to do besides just twirling it around the waist.  If only there were enough words to describe the colors as they blend together in spiral motion.  He first spun it vertically on one hand then, with ease, switch hands behind his back while continuing the spiral.   He then jumped through the hoop and sent it flying straight up through the air, and caught it with his torso spinning it with his waist.  He then asked me, would you like to try it?


When I first attempted to use a hoolahoop I felt clumsy, but with a little instruction and encouragement I was able to get it spinning from one hand to the next.  I felt my hands projecting outward in ever direction as it spun around.  I was still a bit tense and did not want to seen making a fool of myself, so he told me to just relax and imagine myself as the hoop as it spins.  It took a few rotations with one hand before I was able to get a nice rhythm, and the music was also very helpful too.  I felt myself then as a circle, and relative to me I was not spinning but reality was.  I felt so relax and free, and was soon transferring the hoop behind my back.  This was also a special day because it was the beginning of festival season, and we were at a park on our way to a music festival.  My friend said to me, "its good that you got some hooping in, before this festival.  There will be a lot of spinners there!".  Was he ever right.  When the darkness of night rose above us we had a show of fire hoolahoopers, batons, bostaff, fans, canes, breathers, and more.  


I hoop very regularly as an exercise and find it not only relaxing and meditative, but a good way to enhance your dance skills and balance.


Happy Hoopla

1 comment:

  1. The image is of my two friends Seth Hill (left) and Jozette Borman (right)

    ReplyDelete